Tuesday 2 August 2011

Finding our way

Good news! We have found an apt. on Oriental Bay.  It's pretty basic--everything white and sort of student-esque inside, but outside is another story.  You walk out the front door and turn left, and a view of Oriental Bay opens up before you:  a small sandy beach and sparkling water, lots of little shops and cute restaurants on the street.  It's the perfect place for friends who might want to crash in the extra bedroom:-)  I There's a pool about 10 minutes walk away.  That gym is surrounded by glass, so you can see the bay from inside.  Our landlady will live upstairs from us, and she's been trying to get us straight on all of the paperwork, etc. that needs to be done. The guy who's living there is some kind of sound technician who's been working in Wellywood (the film studio working on The Hobbit) but is now moving to Sydney.  Also, the apt. is about  a 20 min. walk from Wellington Friends Centre.

The time for acting like tourists ended yesterday, when John crossed the street from the Southgate to pick up his lime-green Suzuki Swift and drive (on the left!) to work in the clinic in Porirua, where he will be one day per week.  I, on the other hand,  gathered my courage as one who is directionally challenged and walked over to the hospital to see what I could learn about volunteer opportunities.  The chaplains there apparently get most of their calls by denomination (Catholic, Anglican, Maori, Tonga).  I doubt that many Quakers request a chaplain, so I'm not sure what they'd do with me, but Fr. Ray is going to check things out and let me know.  Also stopped by the regular volunteer office where I had some friendly banter with the director who told me I "talk funny."  I liked the volunteer application which talked about offering hospitality and warmth (manaa) on a ward or in the accident/emergency section.  Sort of wonder if I might actually prefer that.  We'll see.

After visiting the hospital, I got my shopping bags together for my daily trek to New World (the supermarket), resolving not to give away all my cash before arriving there.  Though I feel a little wary and not altogether safe in Newtown, I have to say I enjoy the vigor of the cultural and ethnic hodgepodge and hearing the different languages on the street.  People have generally been friendly and helpful.   One of my favorite encounters of the day was ordering fish and chips for dinner at Fresh Fins.  None of the fish except groper (grouper?) were recognizable to me...taranaki?  But the proprietor was friendly, and it was all delicious, sprinkled with lemon pepper and garlic salt.

We both have colds and are feeling a little stressed from the newness of everything.  Sleep is still a bit off, and we miss those we love. Sometimes when people speak quickly, it's hard to understand them, and the way of doing almost everything is just a little different. Still, we are excited to be here, having our minds opened to what it's like to live here in this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment