Sunday 4 December 2011

Low-key Christmas prep

This is not a great picture, I know, but it gives you a little flavor of the Christmas preparations around here.  It's a big wire Christmas tree that lights up in various colors and swirly patterns at night.  At the bottom you can see the red letter boxes (like the old British ones) where little kids are lining up for a direct conversations with Santa, who must be somewhere remote, like at the North Pole or in the nearby Chaffer's Dock apt. lobby, eating one of Martin Bosley's famous bacon butties, served up at the Sunday morning market.  (They smell great, but we are stuck on the crepes, made by a guy with an authentic-sounding French accent.)  Anyway, parents are lounging around on these yellow, green and blue beanbag chairs while the kids are waiting to transmit their wish lists to the jolly old elf.  I could have used a beanbag back in the day when we were waiting on the girls, at least one of whom had such severe Santaclaustrophobia that she would never talk to him, even after all of that standing in line.

Christmas seems a little lower key around here in general, with tales of barbecues and the beach rather than baking turkeys and huddling around the fire.  I have a little bit of ambivalence about this.  I kind of like not having Christmas quite so "in your face" all the time.  But I am going to miss some things, I can tell:  like the meeting's Simple Christmas craft-making day, caroling, and the Christmas Eve night candlelight service especially.  I hear there will be some carol-singing on the waterfront though.

It's been quiet.  John's colleagues had their Christmas "do" at a restaurant Friday night, complete with Christmas crackers.  We all had paper crowns and little gifts from inside.  By far the favorite were the little men that looked kind of like Spiderman which stick to windows (or beer pitchers) then sort of climb down.

  On Sat. we bought a tiny Christmas tree and cooked burgers with a couple who will be leaving to go home to Virginia in January.  While we were sitting outside, we experienced a quite perceptible earthquake (5.7) which was felt from Picton (north tip of the South Island) and which broke some windows on the waterfront here.  It felt kind of like being on a train that was starting, then stopping.  The earth just kind of rolled.  It lasted about 20 seconds, just long enough to think, "What the...?"  Maybe the locals know what it is right away.  Anyway, that's quite enough for firsthand experience for me if anyone's listening to my druthers.

Tom and Janine are due in tonight at midnight.  After four (!) days of sun last week, it's supposed to rain pretty much the whole time they're here.  The fridge isn't working.  Some kind of Murphy's law thing....

3 comments:

  1. I took my friend Tammy to lunch at the Salem Tavern and the Candle Tea Friday. Unlike some years when you and I have been there, it was sunny and relatively warm and I only saw one school group. We were in the very first group to be admitted and were ushered straight into the chapel without the usual standing around in the anteroom. In your honor, I volunteered (after waiting/hoping for someone else to do so) to do the solo part in "Morning Star" and thus became somewhat of a celebrity around Old Salem for the afternoon.

    Miss you! Glad Tom and Janine are on their way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ellen: Maybe I could get your autograph?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been ushered directly into the chapel at a Candle Tea and more often than not have spent time standing in the cold with rain and/or snow falling.

    And I've never volunteered to do the solo part on 'Morning Star' much to the relief of my family and friends.

    I think I need Ellen's autograph too.

    Christmas 'not so much in your face' sounds nice though. I'd like to try that.

    Maybe I need two autographs.

    ReplyDelete